Adventures of an expat in Hanoi

Thursday, October 11, 2007

My motorbike



So.. it only took me a month till I broke down and rented a motorbike. Had enough of fighting with Taxi drivers/Bike Taxi drivers who kept taking long ways to get where I wanted to go (+ I had to take them at least three times a day).
Driving the bike is actually much easier than it seems. The drive like crazy maniacs here (I think most traffic roles are not applied). All those years maneuvering a scooter throughout the streets of Tel Aviv sure helped. But in general, you just go with the flow. I just try not to stand out because there have been times when foreigners were thrown off their bikes in order to steal it, or just your usual bag snatchers. So as you can see from the photos, I am wearing a face mask.. which is what most locals do, I think they assume it will protect them from the pollution, but I doubt it, in my case, it just hides me (though they can tell Im a foreigner because I am twice the size of a Viet). The moped is a Honda Wave, the most common bike here. I had to stick some Hello Kitty stickers on it so I could recognize it when I park :) haha... so me!

No comments: