Adventures of an expat in Hanoi

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Day Tripper



Last Tuesday, my roommate Sarah and I decided to go on a little "Scooter Road Trip" Hanoi style.
But first, of course, before heading out, just as I turned left from our Alley, we noticed I had a flat tire!! how typical of me.
It's quite common here, because there is a man sitting with a pump, glue and a bucket of water, on every street corner.
So luckily, I only had to drive half a block to get help. (See photo above: How to repair flat tire in Hanoi)
We rode our little Honda waves till the outskirts of Hanoi,
crossed an enormous bridge and found ourselves on a Vietnamese Highway.
We got off and started riding our bikes around some farms and fields
Saw some buffalos and chickens. What an adventure, haha :)
(see photo above of field and farmer,wearing a Viet hat).
On the way back, I saw a man riding a motorbike with a medium sized cage behind him,
stuffed with dogs that seemed dehydrated or dead... I knew exactly where those dogs were going..
I started crying.. I couldn't stop looking into their eyes..
I'm sorry, but eating man's best friend is just too cruel.. especially the way these animals are treated..

Well hopefully next time, I'll drive more than 5 km out of Hanoi.....

No comments: