Adventures of an expat in Hanoi

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

F.A.T

So.. apparently I am fat... well actually, according to my students I am "VERY FAT"..
In case you haven't heard.. people in Vietnam are stick figures
The women are GORGEOUS and proud of keeping their bodies nice and slim.
And they actually have a waist! not those Asian boy-body types...

All this doesn't really help my self esteem..
*I get grabbed a lot.. by women.. who have never touched fat before.
*I am insulted by my students when asking them about adjectives,
they use me as an example to describe what fat means.
*I keep getting asked what sports I play (I say Yoga).
*Viets keep staring at me when I eat to see what I am putting in my mouth.
*When I say I am not married they ask me if it's because I am fat.
*little kids like to squeeze mi bum.
*Another thing these kids do is hug me at my waist then place their face right in my belly...

SO.. I HAVE DECIDED TO TAKE EXTREME MEASURES AND GO ON A DIET!
But I am doing it differently this time.. no weight watchers.. just cutting off the sweets
and using a bicycle to get around town.(which means about 12 km a day)
I think I have lost 1 kilo this week alone and I can already feel my belly has gone done.

And of course.. what was my students reaction when I told them I was on a diet:
"ohhh you look for boyfriend"

Why can't fat be beautiful?

9 more kilos to go and am doing it for myself and no one else!
(ohh maybe also so I can fit into the clothes and cause I want to start wearing jeans)

No comments: